Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
crate training. - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
crate training. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
crate training. - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
crate training. - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
crate training. - Page 3 EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
crate training. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
crate training. - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
crate training. - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
crate training. - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

crate training.

+8
Sarah
daisydotes
LoopyLu
isolde
simbalove
adele
Lynne & Gus
Kaz65
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

crate training. - Page 3 Empty Re: crate training.

Post by Kaz65 Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:43 pm

daisydotes wrote:Seems like you have cracked it Karen

I hope so Sandra don't want to speak to soon. lol!
Kaz65
Kaz65
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-09-26
Number of posts : 1975

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:48 pm

I had a cat when I got my first two shih tzu and with the second one the cat was a right little sod... he used to get her into all sorts of trouble!! For one thing he would stamp his feet to get her attention and then run upstairs with her chasing him, he would then come back down and clean his feet - leaving her stuck on my bed and in trouble lol!

Another of his tricks was to do the same thing but this time go into my bathroom and as the door used to swing back closed he would sit on my linen basket and as she went in he would jump out leav ing one puppy scratching and crying at the bathroom door - oh and he used to sit on the piano stool and leap off and straddle her as she walked past leaving her squatting on the floor with the giant over her. He ha such fun. Despite all this torment she was absolutely devastated when he was killed and she cried for years afterwards every time she saw a black and white cat wub
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz65 Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:58 pm

[quote="simbalove"]I had a cat when I got my first two shih tzu and with the second one the cat was a right little sod... he used to get her into all sorts of trouble!! For one thing he would stamp his feet to get her attention and then run upstairs with her chasing him, he would then come back down and clean his feet - leaving her stuck on my bed and in trouble lol!

Another of his tricks was to do the same thing but this time go into my bathroom and as the door used to swing back closed he would sit on my linen basket and as she went in he would jump out leav ing one puppy scratching and crying at the bathroom door - oh and he used to sit on the piano stool and leap off and straddle her as she walked past leaving her squatting on the floor with the giant over her. He ha such fun. Despite all this torment she was absolutely devastated when he was killed and she cried for years afterwards every time she saw a black and white cat wub
[/quote

lol! lol! sounds like they were fun to watch. My Cat will sit on the settee cause she knows Poppy can't get up there to her and then as she walks past she will tap her on the head. Poppy will then try her best to get her but the cat always wins. Unless Poppy can grab her tail which by this time is waving about in Poppy's face. lol! lol!
Kaz65
Kaz65
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Its greagt fun watching them isn' it? lol!
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LoopyLu Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:41 am

Well done Kaz! What a good girl Poppy has been. I'm so glad she has settled for you, there is nothing worse than lack of sleep!

Willow has sadly reverted back to original behaviour of barking, I don't think it's the crate so much this time, more of the fact that she doesn't want us to go to bed!! She has also started wee-ing in her bed in the crate, even though I have been getting up at 4am to let her out each night. She has done this 2 nights in a row, it's so frustrating as I know she can do it. Our crate is quite big 30" so I don't know weather this is the problem. I have put a plastic bed inside so there is not room to pee anywhere but in her bed, which is what she has done!!

Back to the drawing board!! lol!

LoopyLu
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Number of posts : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:18 am

That picture is soooooooooooooooooooo cute....well done Poppy 10 out of 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynne & Gus Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:42 am

So glad Poppy is taking to the crate 10 out of 10

Love the pic too - but think it's more Poppy thats playing - not so much the cat!!!
Lynne & Gus
Lynne & Gus
Best of Breed
Best of Breed

Registration date : 2008-09-25
Number of posts : 1094

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:46 pm

LoopyLu wrote:Well done Kaz! What a good girl Poppy has been. I'm so glad she has settled for you, there is nothing worse than lack of sleep!

Willow has sadly reverted back to original behaviour of barking, I don't think it's the crate so much this time, more of the fact that she doesn't want us to go to bed!! She has also started wee-ing in her bed in the crate, even though I have been getting up at 4am to let her out each night. She has done this 2 nights in a row, it's so frustrating as I know she can do it. Our crate is quite big 30" so I don't know weather this is the problem. I have put a plastic bed inside so there is not room to pee anywhere but in her bed, which is what she has done!!

Back to the drawing board!! lol!

How old is Willow now Karen?? Why don't you try taking the plastic bed out and putting a blanket and pee pad in. They don't get full control of their bladder for ages and initially they tiddle every couple of hours - also try covering the cage with a blanket (though obviously make sure there is a flow of air in there)... that can help her settle too and whatever you do don't go back to her when she barks - otherwise she is training you lol! and she will soon get the message that the cage is for sleeping. Another thing is to have a reall good old rough and tumble with her just before bed time to make sure she is tired and then take her out for her last wee before putting her to bed. Make sre she has something to cuddle up to as well, an old tshirt of yours or a fluffy toy. She will get there - you just do't have to give up and you have to be consistent Very Happy
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LoopyLu Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:12 pm

Willow is 13wks old on Saturday. I do cover her crate with a blanket so it is all nice and cosy for her. I will try putting a pee pad in if she continues, she has been good so far, and started settling well, but has just this set back the last few days. I have not put a pee pad in there yet because I am trying to stop her pooh eating, I bet if I did that she would have an overnight pooh eating frenzy, when no one can see or stop her!! lol!

I do have a large cat box I have thought of using, maybe she would feel more secure in that?? Maybe the crate in not cosy enough?

LoopyLu
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:27 pm

You are doing all the right things - if you get your feeding regime she shouldn't need to poo overnight so the peepad and something cosy to sleep on might be an idea bit at 13 weeks you are doing brilliantly - she is still s tidgy baby Smile
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz65 Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:11 pm

Well Poppy slept again like a baby last night. 👼 Sleep Sleep Sleep Thing is I'm still not ahhhhhhhhhhh affraid I keep listening out for her got to get out of the habit and try to relax myself and go to sleep. Sleep Sleep

She started barking this morning when she heard my hubby walking around in our bedroom. I don't mind that as its not like the bark she was doing at night.

Lucy the crate i got Poppy is quite big. I got it so it would do her when she is fully grown too. I don't lock the crate though so she goes on her training pad if she needs too. Hope Willow settles again soon I think they just like to try us out. lol!
Kaz65
Kaz65
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz65 Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Lynne & Gus wrote:So glad Poppy is taking to the crate 10 out of 10

Love the pic too - but think it's more Poppy thats playing - not so much the cat!!!

lol! lol! On that picture the cat was trying to warm up in front of the fire and Poppy wouldn't leave her alone. She ended up in the end moving and lying on the settee next to me. lol!
Kaz65
Kaz65
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:21 pm

Well done...the hard work (and sleepless nights have paid off!!!)

Lolas also 13 weeks (on Friday)
Whenever someone comes into the house after the intital greeting she slopes off to her crate, she sleeps there during the day, whenever I pop out and during the night.

I lock it during the night, she doesnt cry and she hasnt wet or poo'd it for the last 2 weeks 10 out of 10 (I hope I'm not speaking too soon lol)

I didnt use the pee pads as I was advised that it sends a mixed message (that its OK to pee inside)...
I take her outside every hour or so (but not at all during the night) having said that though I'm lucky that I'm at home all day
We even removed the door mat for the kitchen door as when we 1st had her that was her fav place to go...as soon as we took it away she pawed/barked at the door to be let out... thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

I bought a small crate (from Argos) and think I probably should have gone for the mediunm.theres bags of room for now ...we'll wait and see

Well Done Again.. thumbs up thumbs up
Sarah
Sarah
Graduate
Graduate

Registration date : 2008-10-12
Number of posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz65 Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:31 pm

thanks Sarah I got the Medium one from Argos she does seem to like it she will go in and out of it through the day.

Well done to Lolas she's doing really well. Yesterday Poppy started to scratch at my door when i took her out she had a wee. But she's only done this the once and it doesn't help when I have to go to work and she's left in the house on her own for a few hours. I don't work everyday so the days I'm home she does quite well but i cant expect her to hold it to long yet as she's only a baby still.
Kaz65
Kaz65
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz65 Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:16 pm

Well Poppy is doing really well with her crate. Sleep Sleep I have just given her a nice bath and she as run round the room like a loony then dived into her crate only to come out again running round and then again diving into her crate. lol!
Heres a picture of her in her crate. stroke
crate training. - Page 3 14112010
Kaz65
Kaz65
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by daisydotes Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:42 pm

Gosh Poppy does love that camera Karen and the camera loves her.
daisydotes
daisydotes
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-09-21
Number of posts : 2688

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz65 Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:46 pm

lol! lol! I sometimes have to take a few pictures as when i shout her to look at me she moves and all I get is a blur. This one was easy she had been eating her chew so I shouted her and click straight away and Lucky for me it came out great. lol!
Kaz65
Kaz65
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:08 pm

she is one divine puppy wub wub
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:11 pm

What a sweet little girl she is wub wub wub puppies are the most wonderful things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz65 Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:59 pm

Just another update on Poppy with her crate. Friday night I thought we was starting to go back wards again bang head groan as when we left her she started to bark and cry. Sad ( she hasn't done this now for a week) But she would bark in the morning when she heard my Hubby get up or he was due to get up (5 mins before).

I left her to see how long she would bark for she did this till we were all in bed. She was quite till 6.45am this is the time my hubby takes her on her walk through the week. So i got up and let her outside but didn't make a fuss of her. She didn't do anything damn groan . I brought her back in and put her in her crate again I didn't make a fuss and left the room. She started to bark and cry so i walk back in the room and said NO and put her in her crate again. I did this twice and she was then quite till my hubby got up at 9am.

Last night she was great again no crying and no barking when we left her. This morning i didn't hear a bark or a cry off her. thumbs up I didn't wake up till 9am Sleep and was worried to death cause she hadn't woken us up.
I went downstairs but before I went into the room she was inn i got her a treat and when I went into her I praised her so much and gave her the treat. stroke

So I'm hoping we are solving the early morning barking now fingers crossed.

I have been thinking of getting her a playmate as I feel this may help her but with Christmas coming up I can't afford another little one yet. Once Christmas is over and i have had her spayed then i will think of getting her a playmate. Will have to start saving the pennies again after Christmas. Very Happy
Kaz65
Kaz65
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by LoopyLu Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:28 am

I'm glad Poppy is being a good girl for you again!

Willow sadly has regressed tottally No

She is barking and whining nearly every night, the first 2wks she was fab and didn't make a sound after the first few days of her being home. She had started peeing on her bed every night, depite me coming down and letting her out. I have solved this by placing a pee pad in her crate, so she wee's on this instead now. I am still coming down to let her out though. But now the pee pad is down she has started poohing, she has her last feed at 7.30-8pm, is this too late? as she is poohing in her crate after 4-5am! confused I'm sure it is because she hates being away from us, because even if I just go upstairs, she barks and cries until I come back down, this has only started in the last week...obviously because she now loves her mummy soooo much! wub

LoopyLu
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:44 pm

Glad things are styarting to improve again...I suppose they're just like children and will have good days/nights and bad ones too...

My friend had Springer Spaniel who didnt really seem to settle too well when he was 16wks she got another and everything seemed to settle not long after his arrival.....they're like the terrible twosome now lol...great company for each other!!
Maybe a playmate will help
Sarah
Sarah
Graduate
Graduate

Registration date : 2008-10-12
Number of posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz65 Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:09 pm

LoopyLu wrote:I'm glad Poppy is being a good girl for you again!

Willow sadly has regressed tottally No

She is barking and whining nearly every night, the first 2wks she was fab and didn't make a sound after the first few days of her being home. She had started peeing on her bed every night, depite me coming down and letting her out. I have solved this by placing a pee pad in her crate, so she wee's on this instead now. I am still coming down to let her out though. But now the pee pad is down she has started poohing, she has her last feed at 7.30-8pm, is this too late? as she is poohing in her crate after 4-5am! confused I'm sure it is because she hates being away from us, because even if I just go upstairs, she barks and cries until I come back down, this has only started in the last week...obviously because she now loves her mummy soooo much! wub

Poppy was like that too the first two weeks she was great then the barking started she was the same as Willow as soon as we left the room she started I was told by a behaviorist not to go down to her has then she had won. She would be like it on and off all night. It's awful not getting much sleep Sleep so I know what your going through. I thought the same as you she had got use to us being there and didn't want us to leave her on her own. I brought a Dap Diffuser which worked for awhile then she stared up again once she got use to it. The crate for me seems to be working (fingers crossed) but I don't lock her in it I leave the door open so she can go in and out when she wants too.
I must admit though I had read it somewhere to spray water at them and say No. I did this to Poppy sad sad2 the first night I tried it I did it 6 times. The night after 3 then the night after NONE so not sure if its the crate that did it or the thought of being sprayed with water if she barked. I do though think the crate as helped her as she does love it. My Mum called round before made a fuss of Poppy after awhile she asked where she was I told her to look in her crate she did and there was Poppy fast asleep in her basket. stroke

Poppy barked this morning when she heard my hubby getting up for work can't seem to stop her from doing this. tongue3

I do hope Willow settles down again soon for you. stroke
Kaz65
Kaz65
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3