Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back

4 posters

Go down

Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back Empty Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back

Post by Mercedes55 Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Daisy was doing really well with her toilet training. I think we'd gone a whole week with no accidents inside the house. However over the weekend she peed a couple of times on the carpet and today I went into the TV room and she had done a pee and a poo and was in the process of eating the poo Shocked

I "think" I am doing everything right, I don't tell her off if she's done something in the house and take her out of the room before I clean up. I put her out regularly during the day and I have to say she does pee quite a lot. As she is dry all night long I don't think she's got anything wrong with her bladder, but not sure how often a puppy of just under 7mths goes during they day. Trouble I have with her also is that often she will scratch at the door to go out and do a tiny little pee and then just want to stay in the garden eating all sorts of stuff, which wouldn't be so bad if it was warm outside but it's freezing so I tend to give her a few minutes and then bring her back indoors.

Am I expecting too much too soon from her confused

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Registration date : 2012-08-01
Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back Empty Re: Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back

Post by sands-62 Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Mercedes55 wrote:Daisy was doing really well with her toilet training. I think we'd gone a whole week with no accidents inside the house. However over the weekend she peed a couple of times on the carpet and today I went into the TV room and she had done a pee and a poo and was in the process of eating the poo Shocked

I "think" I am doing everything right, I don't tell her off if she's done something in the house and take her out of the room before I clean up. I put her out regularly during the day and I have to say she does pee quite a lot. As she is dry all night long I don't think she's got anything wrong with her bladder, but not sure how often a puppy of just under 7mths goes during they day. Trouble I have with her also is that often she will scratch at the door to go out and do a tiny little pee and then just want to stay in the garden eating all sorts of stuff, which wouldn't be so bad if it was warm outside but it's freezing so I tend to give her a few minutes and then bring her back indoors.

Am I expecting too much too soon from her confused

Lyn
To be fair I think her bladder would not be fully matured to be completely house trained at almost 7 months. In fact although Mali was clean very quickly- in about 6 weeks from having her at eight weeks of age- she wasn't totally house trained until about 9 months (to be fully trusted in the house I mean) Tasha was another story, I won't go down that road now. I have to say we are pretty lucky with our two they have never eaten anything in the garden. Mali did have a chew at our Antique bureau when she was small. Tasha has never chewed anything.
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back Empty Re: Toilet training, one step forward, two steps back

Post by sujay Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:07 pm

I would have said that it was probably just an accident. Was Daisy doing something exciting before she did it? It is a bit like a toddler, you think you have it cracked and then they have a little accident. Keep an eye on her and I think she will be fine. If you notice anything unusual it might be worth getting the vet to have a look at her, but I don't think there is a major problem at all. Smile
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:38 pm

she could also be coming into season - but as the others said you c annot expect her to have full control of her bladder just yet and are you standing with her when she goes out to check on her? co s little girlies don;t like to get their bits cold or wet lol!
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:53 am

I think what I've done lately is to increase her boundaries too much inside the house. Till the weekend I had been keeping her in the living room during the day and I don't think she's had any accidents in there apart from the first couple of days we had her. However the TV room and dining room are a totally different thing and with hindsight I remember they are the places she does go and do this kind of thing. I am wondering if she does it in those rooms as no one is in them with her, bad me for letting her wander around too much.

We are also going to have to put up some kind of fencing in the garden to stop her being able to pick up our labrador's poo, just need to work out how to do it Rolling Eyes

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:06 pm

I always keep puppies with me in the same room until they are old enough to be only going a couple of times a day... so that is probably what is happening.
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:44 pm

simbalove wrote:I always keep puppies with me in the same room until they are old enough to be only going a couple of times a day... so that is probably what is happening.

Sounds a sensible thing to do, it's been so long since our labrador was a puppy that I really can't remember what I did with her. So far today she has been fine and I even left her in her playpen on her own for about an hour while I sat in the TV room with our labrador as I do feel at times she gets left out.

With one old dog, one puppy, a parrot and 4 hens it's like a juggling act at times Rolling Eyes

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down