Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
Sorry to so frustrating :/( EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
Sorry to so frustrating :/( EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
Sorry to so frustrating :/( EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
Sorry to so frustrating :/( EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
Sorry to so frustrating :/( EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
Sorry to so frustrating :/( EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
Sorry to so frustrating :/( EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
Sorry to so frustrating :/( EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
Sorry to so frustrating :/( EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Sorry to so frustrating :/(

5 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sorry to so frustrating :/( Empty Sorry to so frustrating :/(

Post by Liz b Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:23 pm

As the title suggests sorry in advance 
Brought some frozen nuggets been looking threw all feedin posts 
Feed her 4 breakfast 4 dinner do I have to feed her anything else if I was to use these. 
If so has anyone got a simple break down cause wanna make sure I don't fluff it up.

She really enjoyed them kinda looked at me to say is that all I get but did wanna over do it. May I add this afternoon she has been playing more not just sleeping and ran in to the kitchen when I said tea time.... I struggle to feed this furry child as she eats lil wastes lots. 
The nuggets were a lil frozen as stated in this hot weather must be better then dry biscuits 
My pet shop said they would get some in so good news
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2012-02-13
Number of posts : 1515

Back to top Go down

Sorry to so frustrating :/( Empty Re: Sorry to so frustrating :/(

Post by simbalove Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Were you feeding her anything else?  A small dog should have between 10 to 15 a day (and some may eat more depending on exercise/size etc)

This can be all she needs - though you may well still want to treat her if you give her biscuit treats - or you can give her a chicken wing now and then.  It may take a little while for her to settle down and eat a regular amount - if this is the first time she is on raw then she may want a little more to begin with or she will feel hungry - then as she gets used to it she will need a little less.
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:56 pm

I have just been feeding the nuggets and I give her a lily kitchen bed time biscuit at night .... Ooooppps only feed her 9 nuggets today I read on a dif post 4 each meal sorry mags no wonder she look at me funny.... To be fair she eats no kibble before tried to eat the meat and really ate in the morning it was getting sily all that money on posh kibble and not even a bite.... She sniffed the air when the nuggets went down and galloped to the bowl she has never done that before.... And at dinner she ran in and sat with that look of give me in her eyes. 
Right so up the nuggets by a lil 
I got confused by all these percentages of dif stuff they should eat.... So the banquet nuggets r complete
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Works out cheaper to by the nuggets then waste my time with kibble the amount she has to eat in kibble she would never eat ever
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:24 am

Liz from what I understand the Natures Menu banquet nuggets are a complete meal when fed with raw meaty bones every couple of days in addition to the nuggets.  On their website this is the list of ingredients for them

Tripe (25%), Chicken (15%), Sweet Potato (13.5%), Peas (10%), Carrots (10%), Swede (10%), Salmon (10%), Liver (5%), Minerals, Prebiotic MOS, Yucca Extract, Green Tea Extract, Grape Seed Extract

However I get confused as from all the research I have done, and trust me I have spent so much time reading up on raw food, the overall guidelines are to feed 70/80% meat, 10/20% bone and 10% organ meat.  Apparently 5% of that organ meat should be liver, so you have enough in the nuggets for that.  I've still got some of the nuggets and although I won't buy anymore as I don't like the texture of them when they are defrosted I also think they have too much vegetable in them and am trying to source other foods for Daisy.  I think also to add some raw meaty bones like chicken breasts with bones is a good idea as is heart as that is full of goodness and you can buy that from the supermarket and just feed a little to make sure they are okay with it.  I don't think when I feed the nuggets that I have been feeding enough either as I only give Daisy about 10 of those in a day, I think I will just get a few more out for her meal this evening.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Registration date : 2012-08-01
Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:20 pm

This was the reason I STOPPED FEEDING THE NUGGETS.  They all had rice and veg in except the BANQUET ones which had 20% veg and the rest was a mix of whole chicken. tripe, lamb heart, liver and kidney and in all fairness Josh did really well on this diet for years SO I was not happy when they changed it to what they called an "enhanced recipe" but what I told them was a totally DIFFERENT RECIPE!

There are LOTS of companies out there online that produce good quality raw diets in the right proportions and I suggest that you all have a good ook at those.  The Wolftucker is a complete diet with just 10% vegetable in that(an by veg I don't mean carrots and peas but things that are really beneficial as they are nature's own vitamins and minerals for example parsley, broccoli, kelp and flax). 

Basil's was one I was looking at but it has a higher percentage of vegetables http://www.basilsdogfood.co.uk/index.asp?m=2&t=Our+Food

and there are some that do the meat without veg  eg:  http://www.thedogfoodcompany.co.uk/products.html and others like Landywood also there is the one Carol is using Berriewoods

There are dozens of companies out there so its worth having a good look and finding one to suit your baby.

You can give a chicken wing or bone now and then as a treat... or any of the treats you prefer but you will find that a dog fed on a good raw diet becomes a contented dog xxx
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Sorry to so frustrating :/( 1D26BC24-08C9-4723-83CD-1BF05D1F0E86-84815-0000173D36646F04_zpsb19f45fa
Cheers all I will have a look into it I just got confused about the extras I will finish the bag o nuggets off look what's around 
Henry had a cheeky nugget as well
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:55 pm

Totally agree with you Lesley, much as the Natures Menu nuggets are handy to feed as they are small and you can just get out the amount you want and assume you don't have to worry about giving any other foods, in fact they contain far too much of other ingredients so you are paying out what is really quite a lot of money for food they don't need and depriving them of food they do need.

Liz if you are on fb there are a couple of good raw groups on there with files that will tell you everything you want to know.  There is also the raw meaty bones yahoo group which is very good too, but they are not into feeding minces on there so you tend to get short shrift if you talk about feeding what they call processed raw foods.  Quite honestly I don't think it matters as long as they are getting the right amount of meat, bone and organ meat.  However I do believe for the sake of their teeth and just to give them exercise for their jaws that the raw meaty bones are important.

Here are some of the sites that I am considering ordering from and some of the other ones that I have come across.  I am trying to source some chunks of meat for Daisy without bone as well as with bone and I'd like to try things like venison, pheasant, partridge and other meats that I can't get from the supermarket or pet shops.

http://www.manifoldvalleymeats.co.uk
http://www.naturallyhealthydogs.co.uk/default.html
http://www.berriewoodwholesale.co.uk
http://www.barfpetfoods.co.uk
http://www.davidsdoggiedinners.co.uk
http://www.albionmeatproducts.co.uk
http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/4-daf-frozen-dog-foods

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Thank u for the links.... I will have to look threw them all there is so many out there. Maggie does not eat a lot so it's hard to know what would be best value for money less waste vs the best
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Is there any other companies that do the nugget style. When I have feed with the block type seems I have waste as it starts to go all soft and funky( kept and defrosted in fridge as advised) 
Pretty random Maggie does tiny poos now is that now due to less waste.... Seems with the kibble half of it came out the other end lol 
I am surprised there has not been any runny tummy.
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Liz the Wolftucker keeps well in the fridge it DOES NOT go mushy or soft.  It is NOT a block it is in a box and is the same consistency as the mince we buy for ourselves.  there is very little moisture once it has defrosted and will keep 3 days in the fridge so if she only ate a third of a pack it would still be ok.  It really is very good quality and I have not wasted any of it.  Josh has loads more energy now which is really pleasing as he is now 8 and a half and I thought there was something going on with him. and yes poos are minimal Smile
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Even just on the poo front it's better she use to find it hard passing them so rock hard...
I was looking at wolftucker I was wondering the difference between the types of packs u can buy. 
The variety pack is good I only have a small freezer not sure it will fit in.... Any recommendation on what packs to get started ? Is there a set routine in the different packs u buy ? 
How long will one last Maggie at 6,8 kg I asked this before I can't remember what it was.
The chicken wings r good value .....
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 pm

My experience with the other foods having a firmer texture is the same as Lesley has already mentioned.  I bought some of the Prize Choice freeflow chicken mince and the freeflow tripe and once defrosted it's so different to the Natures Menu blocks which I think are just awful.  If you were feeding 2.5%, which is a rough guide as every dog is different, but it's the suggested starting amount to feed a dog whose weight you want to maintain, then you would need to feed 170grams a day which is nearly 3 days of food from one pack which costs £1.30 for chicken & tripe for example, which I think is quite good.  Obviously you have more than one dog so you would definitely have no waste if you just used raw all round and just added some raw meaty bones for them to chew on too.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Hate them blocks vile !!!! Lol I would start Maggie Mae on it first then once in the flow would start Henry two dogs two dif sizes and need would fry my head lol !!! The nuggets r good for measuring out amounts and defrosting but are expensive
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:34 am

Sorry to have missed this yesterday. I had a Vertigo day yesterday, not sure if it was working a lot on the computer. Anyway Mali & Tasha are doing well on the Berriewood.  It isn't as mushy as the Nuggets which they still have as a change. Mali didn't want to eat much yesterday, kept offering it her at different times of the day as some times the evening meal she has eaten at bedtime. But not last night, I am sure it is down to the hot weather Only thing I didn't think of is ,there minimum order is £30 so I ordered 3 boxes- 1 x 12 Beef & Tripe, 1x 12 Chicken, 1 x 25 of Chicken & Tripe and the packaging says eat within  a month I think. I am sure it will last longer than that at least I hope it will. I am also giving them a chicken wing a couple of times a week especially if Mali doesn't want to eat a proper meal. Oh and they have a few veg's on the meal too, just a packet of mixed veg I heat in the microwave. I think when they have got through a bit more of this I will try the Wolf Tucker it seems to have more in it. At the time I thought it a lot more expensive. Tasha certainly eats faster because she isn't struggling with the Kibble. One thing I will say about some companies. I e mailed the Dog Food Company about deliveries and I never did get a reply. Berriewood replied very quickly.
Others only deliver around their area. And some had a hefty delivery charge such as Raw to Paw and Raw to GO.
I worked out including delivery that the Berriewood blocks of 500 gram's cost 61p each and seem to last me 3 meals, sometimes two. I was weighing it out methodically at the beginning, but have a fair idea now. Last night hubby fed them as I wasn't well and he thought I was being a bit mean so he gave them more even though Mali only had a sniff and a couple of bites it seems. Tasha ate all hers. At the beginning, they have been on this around 4 weeks now, Tasha seemed to have a lot more energy, but of course since then we have had this heatwave so she has slowed down again.
teddy hug
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks all.... I do look at the small amount that I feed her and think is that it lol ... But all this time I have been payin for expensive poo lol 
She it's the lot .... Slight enoying is that she shakes her food like her toys .... I know what she is doing killing it but does not do well for my kitchen floor lol
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:46 am

Carol I hope you are feeling better now, vertigo is awful, you think you are never going to feel right again teddy hug 

I'm glad you are getting on well with the food.  I wouldn't take much notice of the use by dates as I would imagine most foods when frozen will keep for quite some type, the only thing that you may get is a change in the enzymes, but it wouldn't harm your girls I am sure.  I haven't even looked at the Natures Menu packs to see what the use by date is on them.

I also don't like it if a company don't reply right away.  I really wanted to try some stuff from Manifold Valley Meats as they do a wide variety and have mince, chunks and meat on the bone, so a good choice.  However despite saying they deliver all over the UK they told me they don't deliver to Watford, so that was a nuisance.  I am now trying to place an order with http://www.naturallyhealthydogs.co.uk and am just waiting for them to have enough people in this area to deliver to before they can let me know when it will be.  They seem to sell quite a good variety and some organic foods too.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:18 pm

I have to say that the wolftucker has a date on the packs well into next year and also they phoned me within minutes of me sending and email to help me out.  I have bought the mixed boxes as they say that it is completely balanced if you do this.  The boxes are very compact so don't take up much room and are not like the freeflow or blocks of prize choice.  Personally I wouldn't give them cooked veg (there is no need to with wt as there is some vegetation in there and there are different trains of thought as to whether they need veg or as much as some people are saying) when you cook veg you cook out the nutrients anyway Very Happy

when I get chance I will measure a wt box for you x
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:19 am

Mercedes55 wrote:Carol I hope you are feeling better now, vertigo is awful, you think you are never going to feel right again teddy hug 

I'm glad you are getting on well with the food.  I wouldn't take much notice of the use by dates as I would imagine most foods when frozen will keep for quite some type, the only thing that you may get is a change in the enzymes, but it wouldn't harm your girls I am sure.  I haven't even looked at the Natures Menu packs to see what the use by date is on them.

I also don't like it if a company don't reply right away.  I really wanted to try some stuff from Manifold Valley Meats as they do a wide variety and have mince, chunks and meat on the bone, so a good choice.  However despite saying they deliver all over the UK they told me they don't deliver to Watford, so that was a nuisance.  I am now trying to place an order with http://www.naturallyhealthydogs.co.uk and am just waiting for them to have enough people in this area to deliver to before they can let me know when it will be.  They seem to sell quite a good variety and some organic foods too.

Lyn

Thanks Lyn I am much better today. I think I also looked at Manifold meats and they didn't deliver here either only around their area. Another one that has been reviewed well is www.landywoods.co.uk I have just been up to my freezer to check on the expiry dates for the food I have, and I needn't have worried it is 'end of May 2014' phew, it was one of the things I hadn't checked when I ordered so much.teddy hug 
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:49 am

Not like I am the poo police but I have noticed the veg in the nuggets goes straight threw is there much benefit in it ?
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:12 am

What is the dif between naked chicken and sustain chicken ?
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:15 am

Ok what Meant was feeding wise is the sustain a complete meal And the naked when do u feed that also the canis one so what feedin routine is there with the dif types
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:42 pm

If you look at the ingredients you can see the sustain is chicken, primal has offal with it etc but they are all complete meals but have slightly different protein and calorie contents to suit different lifestyles having said that they recommend and there is nothign wrong in feeding any of them to the dogs but they recommend a mix of flavours a) to give variety and b) to make sure the dog has adequate offal in its diet too
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes55 Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Liz I have noticed that when Daisy has the Natures Menu foods that her poos have bits of undigested veg in them too.  Now I am still undecided as to whether they need veg or not and I guess it's a personal choice and if a dog likes to eat veg then why not feed it to them.  However there is too much veg in Natures Menu so the other brands of BARF food would be better for your dogs I am sure.  I like the sound of the WolfTucker food, need to finish up all the other stuff in the freezer first though.

Lyn
Mercedes55
Mercedes55
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz b Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Seems silly her eatin it as I can't imagine it changes the taste I half a bag left I have not made up my mind what I am ordering next
Liz b
Liz b
Best In Show
Best In Show

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next