Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Sleep Well
    teddy again............... EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
    teddy again............... EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
    teddy again............... EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
    teddy again............... EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
    teddy again............... EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
    teddy again............... EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
    teddy again............... EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
    teddy again............... EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
    teddy again............... EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
     Portal
     Index
     Memberlist
     FAQ
     Search
    March 2024
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

teddy again...............

5 posters

Go down

teddy again............... Empty teddy again...............

Post by Golder Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:38 pm

please dont judge me im trying my hardest to sort him out i just dont know how

if anyone can find me a resonably priced training class near ws15 rugeley id apreciate it

right where to begin, he chews dispite having chewys teddys etc all his be is ripping up my kitchen floor, husband is furious wants to get rid of the dog Sad (i wont allow that btw Wink ) how do i prevent the chewing?

we walk with a collie everyday, said collie is a pita! hes now on lead all the time, teddy is usually off lead and was until last week where he decided to go after a horse in a paddock!!! 20 minutes i spent trying to get him back he almost got kicked twice but carried on barking at the horse (scariest 20 mins of my life!!!! and yes i know i know i will NEVER forget my whistle again teddy again............... 147249)
    hes not been off lead since, we went on our own today, we met to other shih tzus one teddys age and another older, teddy was insane, crying snapping barking i was horrified luckily the lady was lovely and said it was usually hers, when we got over woods, (away from horses) i let him off and we practiced whistle he was a gem as usual, till we got to the horse field, he returned as i whistled but then went straight back to the fence, he stayed one lead after that, we saw another young setter on way back, it was off lead wanted to play, again teddy went loopy and screamed like he was being killed Sad

what have i done to my poor dog, how do i make he relaxed and happy again hes much better now in the house with my son, just need to work on not jumping all over people
    Golder
    Golder
    Junior
    Junior

Registration date : 2011-10-12
    Number of posts : 75

Back to top Go down

teddy again............... Empty Re: teddy again...............

Post by Grandpa Munster Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:04 pm

Sounds like my dog, must be the names, Teddy the terrorists.

My Teddy has been to see Alfie the Cockerpoo tonight. All he has done is bite his tail and ears, if we pick him up he screams.

I can't lie on the floor as my Teddy thinks my ears are dog chews. He seems to have a thing about ears, especially my cauliflower ear.

If I stop him chewing my ears he gets frustrated and bites my nose, to him it is playing, to me it hurts.

He is at his worse when we have fed him, he bites my hands quite hard, again he is playing, at no point has he ever growled.

If I push him away or chastise him, he comes back at me even harder.
    Grandpa Munster
    Grandpa Munster
    Minor Puppy
    Minor Puppy

Registration date : 2012-06-05
    Number of posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:41 am

I am sorry that you are having so much trouble with Teddy, Golder. I have just done a quick search for the postcode you gave and this one seems to be the nearest. http://www.sheilaharper.co.uk/index.php

Most of the ones I found were on www.yell.com and I just typed 'Dog taining classes near WS15' in the search box. Hope this helps, at the least you can speak to them and they can point you in the right direction.
    sands-62
    sands-62
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
    Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:44 am

Sorry to hear you are having problems with Teddy. I think it might be a good idea to meet with a behaviourist on a one to one basis to see if they can help you get to the bottom of Teddys behaviour. That way there won't be lots of other dogs around to distract him. Your vet may be able to suggest somebody good who will be able to help.
    sujay
    sujay
    Supreme Champion
    Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
    Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:24 am

sujay wrote:Sorry to hear you are having problems with Teddy. I think it might be a good idea to meet with a behaviourist on a one to one basis to see if they can help you get to the bottom of Teddys behaviour. That way there won't be lots of other dogs around to distract him. Your vet may be able to suggest somebody good who will be able to help.

Yes I agree Sue the one I have mentioned above does a One to One and it is £30 an hour which I think it is quite good. A friend of mine was having to pay £36 an hour and that was about 3 years ago near here. At least that way Golder can see what is happening and how they can help her. And a lot can then be done at home once she knows how to train him.
    teddy again............... 132239
    sands-62
    sands-62
    Best In Show
    Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
    Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Golder Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:03 pm

I certainly don't have £30 for an hour, I was thinking £5 a week for a course or something that I could have a quick chat with a trainer etc, I worked in kennels for a few years when I was young so I'm not hopeless as such Wink

Tbh I'm wondering if it this collie that rubbing off on ted, we shall keep practicing with our training I will take him to a more dog busy area try some meet and greet he was fine when he was off lead before the horse incident :s
    Golder
    Golder
    Junior
    Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Golder wrote:please dont judge me im trying my hardest to sort him out i just dont know how

if anyone can find me a resonably priced training class near ws15 rugeley id apreciate it

right where to begin, he chews dispite having chewys teddys etc all his be is ripping up my kitchen floor, husband is furious wants to get rid of the dog Sad (i wont allow that btw Wink ) how do i prevent the chewing?

we walk with a collie everyday, said collie is a pita! hes now on lead all the time, teddy is usually off lead and was until last week where he decided to go after a horse in a paddock!!! 20 minutes i spent trying to get him back he almost got kicked twice but carried on barking at the horse (scariest 20 mins of my life!!!! and yes i know i know i will NEVER forget my whistle again teddy again............... 147249)
    hes not been off lead since, we went on our own today, we met to other shih tzus one teddys age and another older, teddy was insane, crying snapping barking i was horrified luckily the lady was lovely and said it was usually hers, when we got over woods, (away from horses) i let him off and we practiced whistle he was a gem as usual, till we got to the horse field, he returned as i whistled but then went straight back to the fence, he stayed one lead after that, we saw another young setter on way back, it was off lead wanted to play, again teddy went loopy and screamed like he was being killed Sad

what have i done to my poor dog, how do i make he relaxed and happy again hes much better now in the house with my son, just need to work on not jumping all over people

You need to practice an emergency stop... at home first do you use hand signals when you tell him to sit?? If so you need to have him away from you and then call him as he comes use the sit hand signal, step towards him and shout hard "Stop". This can be an invaulable tool when he is in danger as he was. I find that mine if they are in danger and I use this command they pick up on the terror in my voice and squat to the floor.

As for classes - if you contact the kennel club (by phone or email) they will tell you of their approved classes in your area and you will learn all this sort of thing there x ps the people who run these courses are not likely to be advertising in yellow pages or on yell as they would have to pay so it really is a good idea to contact the KC first Smile
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
    Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Golder Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:22 pm

I do use a hand signal for sit, unintentionally I shall practice stop, and I'll ring the kennel club in the morning Smile thank you again you are a huge help Smile

He did have another hissy at horse today, he's obsessed Sad
    Golder
    Golder
    Junior
    Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:19 pm

make the hand signal larger for the stop and make sure you sound like you mean it xx

ps you maybe need to take him where there are horses have him on lead and take some titbits and get him to sit and look at you (click and reward whenever he does this) - you will need a few sessions I should think but it should help (I always use the LEAVE IT command that I taught when I was doing food manners with my dogs) xx
    simbalove
    simbalove
    Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
    Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down