Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family

+2
sands-62
homebrewpower
6 posters

Go down

Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family Empty Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family

Post by homebrewpower Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi there to all here,

We have recently purchased a 16 week male puppy Fur-Baby as a life friend for our 2 year old bitch. They are related down the bloodline and I just wanted to ask about the dominance / playing situation.

Our bitch (Rusty Bear) has always been aggressive towards most other dogs and very dominant in her ways but since we introduced our puppy dog (Teddy Bear) they follow each other around all the time, what worries me is the constant paw to head bashing and ear nipping and throat nipping. They are as bad as one another. They are not yapping or snarling but more so sumo wrestling but Rusty Bear did have Teddy Bear on his back today and had a hold of his throat. They are not causing any harm, no hair ripping or blood drawing but I just need to know if this is something to be expected or something I should be acting upon?

All comments welcomed as this is our first time with 2 monkeys!!!

Kind regards

Andy
homebrewpower
homebrewpower
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Registration date : 2010-05-19
Number of posts : 20

http://www.homebrewpower.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family Empty Re: Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family

Post by sands-62 Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi I have two girls one is 4years old and the other is almost 3years old and they 'play fight' a lot of the time. Mali the older one will go flying at 100mph at Tasha and when she reaches her will headbutt her. It sounds to me that they are getting along alright and this is quite a natural thing to do . Obviously you will have to keep an eye out for them in case they get a bit above themselves, mine are usually very loving to each other and get along extremely well. Roony & Roxy on here has just got her third Shiddie about three weeks ago so she may be able to give you some more advice, form first hand, but there are lots on here that can help and we are only to happy to.

Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family 690664
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family Empty Re: Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family

Post by homebrewpower Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Sands-62,

Thank you for your kind words. Turns out that Roxy (From Roxy & Rooney) is related to Rusty Bear and would you believe that Teddy Bear Pippa have the same Dad, from the same breeder! It is all very incestuous!

Look forwards to some more comments & advice

x
homebrewpower
homebrewpower
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lissy Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Mine are Alfie 1 year and Charlie 10 months, and they fight all the time, they jump from the flower beds in the garden ( 2ft high) onto each others heads, pin each other down, drag around by ear, lips and even tail ( Charlie doesn't have a tail he has Spina Bifida)................so don't worry they are doing great, and I am sure the Queen of Shih Tzu's ( Simbalove ) will tell you the same, she is the font of all knowledge and is my Auntie Lesley Smile
Lissy
Lissy
Graduate
Graduate

Registration date : 2010-12-16
Number of posts : 191

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Sounds to me like you are describing perfectly normal shih tzu behaviour lol! They love a good rough and tumble, chase around fight and kill one another then drop down shattered only to start it all off again a while later Very Happy

Josh did not have company until last year (I always felt dreadful about that and used to encourage him to play fight me with glove puppets) but he soon latched on to the games and he now starts the play fights. He also likes tobe underneath having his throat ripped out lol! and will actually present his throat for Isabella to pounce on.

Welcome to the mad house antics of multiple shih tzu families. PS they play till they are quite old too. I have a lovely photo somehwere of the last litter of pups I had with their granddad and auntie chasing them round the room - it looked like a war zone and the wicked look on the puppies faces was just magic xxxxx
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by homebrewpower Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:58 am

To all who have answered x

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom, it has now cemented a bond between our little family of fur babies.

Seems this morning that Teddy is now giving out the punishments, so funny hugging dogs
homebrewpower
homebrewpower
Minor Puppy
Minor Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post by sujay Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:25 am

It sounds to me like you have two very friendly happy little monsters that are having great fun together. Smile
sujay
sujay
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-07-19
Number of posts : 2636

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:19 pm

Even after over thirty years I still smile at their antics Very Happy Your lives will never be the same again and will be enriched beyond belief xxxxx Looking forward to many tales of their exploits (and PICTURES TOO!!!!)
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooney, Roxy&Pip Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:45 pm

lol! we are all related in Lincolnshire

Rooney has a bad habit now of going for Pippa's throat and I am having to tell him no. Roxy and Pippa play well as Roxy is a lot more gentler than Rooney. I am happy to let mine get on with it but just a careful eye on Rooney is needed until she gets bigger.
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Registration date : 2009-05-12
Number of posts : 1846

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:20 pm

I am pretty sure that Pippa would be able to hold her own however rough Rooney gets lol! Shih Tzu puppies are a lot stronger than they look xxx
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooney, Roxy&Pip Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:14 am

Oh yeah she sure is! She does keep going back for more play fighting so she isnt scared at all of them.
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by sands-62 Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:32 pm

Rooney&Roxy wrote:Oh yeah she sure is! She does keep going back for more play fighting so she isnt scared at all of them.

More pics of Pippa as she must have grown quite a bit please.
Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family 132239
sands-62
sands-62
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2009-10-24
Number of posts : 3553

http://csanderson93@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooney, Roxy&Pip Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:03 pm

Will do! I was taking some today Questions on play fighting / settling in new puppy in our family 132239
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Rooney, Roxy&Pip
Supreme Champion
Supreme Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down