Shih Tzu Whispers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sleep Well
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:29 pm by simbalove

» Hi New Member
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm by simbalove

»  WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS PHOTO COMPETITION
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm by TracyDi

» MY BEAUTIFUL BOY JOSH
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm by simbalove

» welcome libgor
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 EmptySat May 27, 2017 7:12 pm by Michele

» Little Guy in Swansea needs a new home
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:19 am by simbalove

» Hi my 2 well I think Shih tzus
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm by Michele

» Welcome Wedgiewolves
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 4:01 pm by sands-62

» Welcome Sally
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 7:11 pm by simbalove

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

A hi with some advice please! :)

+9
sandra
Ioxia, Coco & Saska
Tracy
Debbie
poppyjosh
maggie
tesrayla
simbalove
MrJ
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 Empty Re: A hi with some advice please! :)

Post by Nyssa Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:40 am

GeordieBabe wrote:hi MJ and welcome, would you not be better off getting an older shih tzu, puppies are hard work,believe me, mine is 5 month had her 6 weeks and still can't house train her groan but good luck with whatever you decide,they are great dogs....

This is jmho, but as a full time worker getting an older dog did cross my mind, but I thought that I'd actually be better getting a puppy as it is easier for puppies to adapt to a new routine. If you rehome an older dog who has been used to having someone home with them all day, for example, they will surely find it much harder to adjust to being left than a little puppy who, essentially, doesn't really know any different?

My mum is a big fan of rescue dogs (as am I) and she's taken on a couple as adults and they took much longer to adjust to their new life and routine, and I think being left in a new home would be more unsettling, and make it harder for them to bond with their new family. She also found that house-training a non-trained adult dog is just as much, if not more, work than house training a puppy (bigger puddles for a start!)

As I said, that's just my opinion.
Nyssa
Nyssa
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-09-26
Number of posts : 1576

Back to top Go down

A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 Empty Re: A hi with some advice please! :)

Post by maggie Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:57 am

GeordieBabe wrote:hi MJ and welcome, would you not be better off getting an older shih tzu, puppies are hard work,believe me, mine is 5 month had her 6 weeks and still can't house train her groan but good luck with whatever you decide,they are great dogs....

few questions for ladies who breed if that's ok.. why won't you sell puppies to people who want to breed surely if there paying for the puppy its up to them if they want to show or breed affraid
just think its a little unfair people wanting to sell pups for over £500 but they wont give papers as they only want them to go as pets no no
oh 1 more question,why do they go at 5 months,when most puppies go around 9-12 weeks confused

going to get some stick for this arnt i sofa 2

I wont give you any stick they are fair questions in my mind. Every breeder has there reasons all I can do is give mine

I dont charge over £500 for a puppy from my litters never have never will, mine go at about 5 months for the following reasons by the time they have had:

There injections at 8 and 12 weeks
Microchipped at 10 weeks
Kennel Cough at 11 weeks
Rabies at 13 weeks
blood test for there passport at 17 weeks
results can take to make sure they have passed about 4 weeks
That makes them 21 weeks
Ialso pay for the registrations here and in Ireland as well as DNA profile and parentage DNA and the cost of spaying all come from me thats why mine stay longer. You also cant walk away with a dog from me as I deliver it, I will also look after it while you are away and clip it for free
I dont sell brood bitches or stud dogs I have taken the trouble to breed healthy pets and have brought new blood in to the UK with imports which cost thousands to do, why would I then just let them be bred from, if thats what people want to do then I wouldnt knock them its there choice but not with one of mine. I take breeding seriously and do everything to protect the dogs that I have bred, I will always take them back no matter how old and return the money paid, I made the decision to breed the dog so therefore it is my responsibility for its life time. Also peoples curcumstances change and they might no longer be able to keep the dog, so I have a contract legally drawn up with a spaying and castration clause as well as the dog cant be resold on it has to come back to me.
What other breeders do or dont do or what they charge I cant speak for my dogs are also not at public stud I allowed mine to be used once and not ever again.
I also have only had 3 litters each bitch has only had 1 litter and only 1 , I dont over breed from my dogs and dont worry if they have no puppies, this is why I do what I do, now anyone can knock me for it but it has worked for me I learnt the hard way.
The bit I forgot to add about Sasha is that she was sold on reccomendation which I was happy to do I delivered the her and as I keep check I found they wanted to breed from her and threatened to sell her to a puppy farm, lesson learned in my case

Maggie

maggie
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2008-09-30
Number of posts : 411

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracy Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:22 am

Wow Maggie, I think that is called really caring for your pups, when I got Oscar I didn't have the benefit of sites like this and assumed because I got the breeders name off the kennel club website they were reputable. That breeder didn't even ask my name let alone where we lived or what sort of home Oscar was going into. I picked up the puppy, they picked up the money and that was job done as far as they were concerned. I wish all pups could have the start in life that you give yours!
Also personally, I love the puppy photos on here, they make your heart melt but I have to be honest I prefer them when they've grown a little, Oscar was 15 weeks when he came home and I would be happy to have another that age.
Tracy
Tracy
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-10-09
Number of posts : 1746

Back to top Go down

Post by MrJ Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:33 am

If I was a breeder i think I would want to be as thorough Maggie!
I've not seen any puppies yet or been in contact with any breeders but i hope they would care enough to know where the puppy is going and also be happy enough to get regular updates so they know the puppy has gone to a good home! Smile
MrJ
MrJ
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2009-07-13
Number of posts : 301

http://www.fadeware.net

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:19 pm

There are alot of breeders that do the same as i do but sadly not all breeders are good ones, I care an awful lot about the dogs in my care, like us all on this forum, as well as the many shih tzu owners.
I am also very protective about them and try not to make mistakes that might affect my dogs , but I am human and things happen.
Placing the dogs in the right home for me is important, hopefully that is where the dog will spend the rest of its life happy and loved, if not then it must come back to me, we will then keep the dog for the rest of its life, I made mistakes Sasha was 1, I had 1 other that was pet homed her curcumstances changed and she couldnt keep Sharay so she came back to us that was over a year ago and she is still here.
As breeders we make the decision to have litters and therefore it is my opinion that we are responsible for the pupppies that are born, you cant pass the buck to another party to step up for us.
Money should never be an issue but sadly all to often it is. Ive made mistakes like all breeders and have got it wrong but happily not to often

The right home for the dog is important even if it is a home that is a working or non working home JMO

Maggie

maggie
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Eve Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:53 pm

Thank you Maggie nice to know your a good breeder hun teddy hug
Eve
Eve
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2009-05-23
Number of posts : 592

Back to top Go down

Post by Eve Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:08 pm

MrJ wrote:
Hi GeordieBabe Smile
It seems your almost from my neck of the woods! I grew up in Darlington and my dad's family live in Sunderland Very Happy
anyway!
We hadn't really considered an older dog as we look after a Charlie during weekends and we just mutually decided i spose that we would start with a puppy! I would certainly like to start from the beginning as my partner has grown up with 2 shih tzu's so I would like to experience the same thing!
It is a strange scenario as all my life i've been allergic to dogs and when i first met my now fiancee I never mentioned that I was alergic to dogs for fear of it having a negative impact on the relationship, and strangely I never sneezed or had the wretched itchy eyes and then I found out I wasn't alergic to this particular dog now realising its the breed!
so being able to own a puppy/dog is going to be great for me considering how well i've taken to Charlie!
If we can work it so we can own a puppy it will be awesome Very Happy fulfilling a little dream of mine for the last few years Smile

I will say i'm liking everyones honestly and commitment to their Shih Tzu's to ensure they go to loving homes and I realise perhaps what i've asked is a controversial one!
I just hope that if we change our mind and do get a Shih Tzu puppy (which will be loved and cared for) that some of you won't think negatively of us when we ask for advice Sad

hi again,wow nice to see you got away from the place then lmao i know exactly how you feel hun,most of my life ive had yorkies,love them as there small and more easy to look after,well ones ive had were lmao after losing my last one at 6 months hubby was adamant i wasn't getting another dog,un beknown to him i looked all the time,but this time i didn't want any dog,then i saw a shihtzu and that was it i fell in love with them,i looked for ones near by,but too expenisve,so found this lovely site and it all went from there i got Amber at 14 weeks and i love her to bits,faults and all yay so if you want one go for it i'm sure you can work around it all,as it will all be worth it.good luck with your search,no one will judge you here there lovely ladies they will do what they can to help, they did with me, so get looking and hurry up with pics teddy hug
Eve
Eve
Open Dog or Bitch
Open Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2009-05-23
Number of posts : 592

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:18 pm

MrJ wrote:

Here's the most recent pic!
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 Resting_during_walk
He's resting during a walk i took him on!

Here's another one! He looks really big in this pic for some reason but its the angle! honest! Smile
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 Monsta_dog

And here's what he looks like after a trim at the groomers Smile
A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 Haircut

I know some/most owners keep Shih Tzu hair long but i think he looks cool with short hair Very Happy with his Fountain tale (as i like to call it)! Smile

Love the photos - Charlies gorgeous Simon. yes yes
Debbie
Debbie
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-09-21
Number of posts : 3245

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:47 pm

I keep my non shoe dogs cliiped just like Charlie

He is so cute

Maggie

maggie
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Seems were also from the same neck of the woods,

I was born in Gateshead grew up in Blaydon lived in Gosforth Newcastle, moved South when I married a southerner, then moved back to the North Castle Eden.

Then moved back South again last year when dad died

Maggie

maggie
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by tesrayla Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:50 pm

Dog well I personally think it is down to the breeder and the new owner to make that desision themselves as everyone is different we all have our own veiws on this , And we will never come to agree with each other,

tesrayla
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Registration date : 2009-04-20
Number of posts : 469

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:23 pm

What exactly are you referring to here Lynn??
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kengai Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:44 pm

MrJ - welcome to the forum -as you can tell we're all very friendly!

Charlie looks like a lovely handsome chap, and he's very lucky to have you and your partner as surrogate parents.

I've read this topic with interest. I have 3 shih tzu who range in age from 2 to 8. I've worked full time since I left school, but my OH works shifts, often starting mid afternoon, so my dogs are not left for any longer than 4 hours at any time. If its likely that they will be left longer, then my neighbour comes in to sit with them, let them into the garden, and play with them for a bit. This also works when Stephen is working nightshift - if he comes home at 6am and I've left for work, she will pop in while he is sleeping to make sure the dogs are ok.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have this arrangement - MrJ, do you know any of your neighbours well enough to do this?

I agree that when you take a puppy into your home you need to spend a few weeks with him/her so that you bond. When each of my dogs have come home I have had a few weeks off work to spend with them and (in the case of Monty and Sasha) to make sure they settled in with Ivy, my first dog. Once they are settled into your home, I think it's important for the dog to get used to having time alone - otherwise it is possible for them to suffer from separation anxiety. When I'm off work for any reason, I spend more time worrying about my dogs being bored and I'm positive that they are glad to see the back of me when I head back to work. They are used to a routine, and me being home isn't part of that routine.

Like Lesley, when I come home my time is my dogs. Housework doesn't get done in my house during the week - from the time I come home until I go to bed I spend my time with the dogs - either grooming, playing, walking or just spending time with them.

And again, like Lesley, my dogs are my life - I don't have children so my 3 are my surrogate kids, and if someone had said to me when I was looking for a puppy that I couldn't have one because I worked full time, then I would have been devastated.

However, I understand everyone has an opinion, and when you have put all your love an attention into bringing these lovely little furbabies into the world, you only want the best for them.

Kengai
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Number of posts : 832

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi Lyn

I didnt understand your last post,
I agree that we all have different opinions when deciding where are puppies go, and what we do as breeders, but I think if you re-read the posts you will find all of us agree on the basics of the topic,
As you say after all its down to the breeder, to decide if it is in the dogs best intrests to go to its new home and if it is what arrangements would be in place for the dog.

Maggie

maggie
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

A hi with some advice please! :) - Page 3 Empty a hi with some advice please

Post by tesrayla Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:35 am

simbalove wrote:What exactly are you referring to here Lynn??

it maybe me the way I am reading it but the post is seems to be everyone all have different opionins on wheather a dog should be left or not ,
And all I am saying is that I think its down the the individual breeder and the puppys new owner wheather they agree together that the puppy is going to be left on its own for long periods of time, if the breeder excepts this then let it be , But I am thinking on my puppys behalf and personally I wouldn,t like one of my babies being left 9 hours a day 5 days a week,
The odd occasion is a different matter as you can never for see the future , But you know before you get a puppy how long its going to be left if you are working prior to you getting a puppy.

tesrayla
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:56 am

I think as breeders we have t be careful where our dogs go to say we wont sell to people to work is a choice we have the right to make.

But do we then say its not right to sell to someone who is prepaired to come home at lunch time also have someone to check on the dog, who can offer the puppy all that it needs and the puppy be in the perfect home.

Sometimes the homes that arent working are not always as they seem, people might not work but can go out everyday for long periods, but because they dont work its okay.

Surely its better to listen to any prospective buyers and judge them on there own merits rather than dismiss the opportunity to have the perfect home for your puppy.

I think in all honesty I would rather meet the people see what they have to offer the puppy and the home that the puppy will live in, than say no, so far I have never sold one of mine but have sold mums who is in the perfect home all be it a working one with owners that see to her every need si I would rather listen to what people have to say I would listen and make a fair judgement based on facts, rather than discriminate against them from the eginning. JMHO

As breeders we have the final say where are puppies go and we have to make the choices for the puppies we just hope we make the right one

Maggie

maggie
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by adele Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 am

Yes That is very true, i have always said i would`nt sell my babies to full time workers, but i do think you have to give everyone a chance and like you say judge everyone on their own merit, if the puppy is going to have someone home for a couple of weeks till she settles in, if the owners works shifts so then there is always one person there, some people have family or neighbours who will help.
It is a worrying time and we all want to make sure we make the right choices for or babies.

Also i do agree with Maggie on the fact not all people that don`t work make a good home too.
I took in my Poppy when she was 8 months old after i had an email from a distant family member (who i still have never met) she is a single mum of one little girl and she told me she could not keep Poppy because she enjoyed going out and poppy was spending too much time alone.
She arranged for me to pick Poppy up from her mums house, when i got there she was not there, she had left Poppy with her 18 year old sister to hand her over to me with a carrier bag with a small pillow (which i was told she slept on in the kitchen and a packet of dog biscuits.
When i held Poppy i could feel her ribs and i was discusted at how light she was, she had terrible white of eyes showing due to her face been so sunken in, she was starving.
Now i`m pleased to say she is living like a queen and this is what she deserves, she is a good eater all be it a little protective of her food (only to be expected) her weight is better and her white of eye has completly gone now her face has filled out. she has a bed not a pillow to sleep on and she is living life to the full.
It would brake my heart if any of my puppies had the start in life she has had, so that just proves that none working homes are`nt always the right homes.
adele
adele
Best In Show
Best In Show

Registration date : 2008-09-26
Number of posts : 1562

http://www.evelyndellshihtzus.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Adele

Poor little mite shehas had a tough time before you got her.

Everything is not always cut and dry in breeding nor in letting your babes go to new homes,

I think as breeders all we can do is the best we can but hopefully judge people for what they are and what in all honesty offer the puppy, ie love happiness a good home,

Maggie

maggie
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by tesrayla Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:31 pm

Dog Ya totally agree with you Maggie you do have to give everyone a chance and listen to what they have to offer the puppy and then its down to the breeder wheather they want the puppy in that situation,

adele poor little poppy I bet you were really frustrated how she was ,

But it says it all dosn,t it ,

Never judge a book by its cover until you have rights to,

tesrayla
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by simbalove Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:06 pm

tesrayla wrote:
simbalove wrote:What exactly are you referring to here Lynn??

it maybe me the way I am reading it but the post is seems to be everyone all have different opionins on wheather a dog should be left or not ,
And all I am saying is that I think its down the the individual breeder and the puppys new owner wheather they agree together that the puppy is going to be left on its own for long periods of time, if the breeder excepts this then let it be , But I am thinking on my puppys behalf and personally I wouldn,t like one of my babies being left 9 hours a day 5 days a week,
The odd occasion is a different matter as you can never for see the future , But you know before you get a puppy how long its going to be left if you are working prior to you getting a puppy.
But you leave your babies when you go to work - and you said earlier inthe thread that it has been 9 hours at times!
simbalove
simbalove
Admin

Registration date : 2008-09-18
Number of posts : 10573

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:58 pm

I have to agree with Lesley you cant do one thing then say another it does come across a tad hypercritical,

Could I ask if you go to work why would you then not sell to a home with people that work, you might have a good reason for this or a bad experience

Maggie

maggie
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by poppyjosh Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:30 pm

I have never said that I woulnt let someone who works have one of my puppies, what I say is that they would have to prove to me that they have made provision for the puppy whilst they are at work. Now wheather that is by going home themselves at intervals during the day or getting someone else to or by having a puppy sitter willing to either go in or take the puppy into their home. What is important to me is that the puppy is going to get the attention it deserves not only in socialising and training but in having company and periods of play and some sort of routine.
I would be a hypocrit if I said any other as I work too. If you are saying that you work 9 hours a day or spend that amount of time away from home and you think its ok for you but not for others then you are giving very mixed messages.
In the ideal world we would all like our puppies to go to homes where there will be someone with them all the time. In reality most people have to work to live. but if you know you are going to be away from home for long periods and that you cant make some sort of provision for a puppy then dont have one, thats only fair JMHO teddy hug

poppyjosh
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Number of posts : 773

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:33 pm

poppyjosh wrote:I have never said that I woulnt let someone who works have one of my puppies, what I say is that they would have to prove to me that they have made provision for the puppy whilst they are at work. Now wheather that is by going home themselves at intervals during the day or getting someone else to or by having a puppy sitter willing to either go in or take the puppy into their home. What is important to me is that the puppy is going to get the attention it deserves not only in socialising and training but in having company and periods of play and some sort of routine.
I would be a hypocrit if I said any other as I work too. If you are saying that you work 9 hours a day or spend that amount of time away from home and you think its ok for you but not for others then you are giving very mixed messages.
In the ideal world we would all like our puppies to go to homes where there will be someone with them all the time. In reality most people have to work to live. but if you know you are going to be away from home for long periods and that you cant make some sort of provision for a puppy then dont have one, thats only fair JMHO teddy hug

Pat none of us were referring to you it was a comment that Lesley picked up on and after rereading it I picked up on it to, we know you dont work 9 hours a day you go home in the afternoon as I myself have spoken to you at home and sometimes you work from home and members of your family check the dogs
Like most of us you would judge on merit of the prospective new owners and make a decision based on that the dog is the important part in all of this, and I know you well enough to know that would be your first consideration

Maggie

maggie
Limit Dog or Bitch
Limit Dog or Bitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ioxia, Coco & Saska Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:12 pm

adele wrote:Yes That is very true, i have always said i would`nt sell my babies to full time workers, but i do think you have to give everyone a chance and like you say judge everyone on their own merit, if the puppy is going to have someone home for a couple of weeks till she settles in, if the owners works shifts so then there is always one person there, some people have family or neighbours who will help.
It is a worrying time and we all want to make sure we make the right choices for or babies.

Also i do agree with Maggie on the fact not all people that don`t work make a good home too.
I took in my Poppy when she was 8 months old after i had an email from a distant family member (who i still have never met) she is a single mum of one little girl and she told me she could not keep Poppy because she enjoyed going out and poppy was spending too much time alone.
She arranged for me to pick Poppy up from her mums house, when i got there she was not there, she had left Poppy with her 18 year old sister to hand her over to me with a carrier bag with a small pillow (which i was told she slept on in the kitchen and a packet of dog biscuits.
When i held Poppy i could feel her ribs and i was discusted at how light she was, she had terrible white of eyes showing due to her face been so sunken in, she was starving.
Now i`m pleased to say she is living like a queen and this is what she deserves, she is a good eater all be it a little protective of her food (only to be expected) her weight is better and her white of eye has completly gone now her face has filled out. she has a bed not a pillow to sleep on and she is living life to the full.
It would brake my heart if any of my puppies had the start in life she has had, so that just proves that none working homes are`nt always the right homes.

OMG Adele, poor, poor Poppy, how could they be so cruel, and she is such a sweetie pie too. I am so glad you were able to take her into your home and there she'll stay, she really has landed on her paws this time. Give her a hug from me and give molly and Lucy-lu one too can't leave them out can I teddy hug
Ioxia, Coco & Saska
Ioxia, Coco & Saska
Challenge Certificate
Challenge Certificate

Number of posts : 987

http://www.freewebs.com/ioxia/

Back to top Go down

Post by Debbie Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:33 pm

Poor Poppy! She didn't have the best of starts did she? No
Debbie
Debbie
Best In Show
Best In Show

Number of posts : 3245

http://shihtzuwhispers.org.uk/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3